Buying a house was exciting, but soon the reality hit me about how I was going to move the hundreds of books in my house.
If you’re anything like me, the mere thought of moving your bookshelves is enough to have you internally screaming “NOOOOO!”
There was denial, hiding in bed so I didn’t have to deal with it, lots of tears, an emotional breakdown, and finally, getting my books all packed up and safely moved into the new home.
Sounds easy doesn’t it? To avoid the 5 stages of heartbreak while moving your books, here’s some tips of moving books:
- Ask the shopping centre, variety store, bookstores for free boxes and cheer when they pass them onto you.
- Get more boxes than you need, to avoid crushing heartbreak when you realise you’ve just run out of another box.
- Massive big boxes may seem like a good idea, but they’re not for the person trying to lift them.
- Make sure the boxes are shallow and sturdy. This helps to pack them in safely but also makes it easy to lift.
- Take pictures of your bookshelf in your old place for the very last time.
- Don’t pack all your hardbacks in one box, spread them out amongst your paperbacks.
- Pack your books in the order they’re placed on the shelf with the spines up which makes it easy to unpack later.
- Label your boxes so that they’re descriptive and easy to identify later – not like the below.
- When it all gets too hard, stop and wail on Twitter. Fellow book nerds will emphasise.
- Put all your ARCs/your recent TBR in one box so you can pick them out easily.
- Tell your pretties you will be with them soon, and pack a few for the road so you won’t be without them.
- Avoid the bookstore after packing your books because you never want to see a book again (temporary effects will wear off in about 10 days).
- Move with the help of friends/removalists/family who will constantly say “why do you have so many books?!”
- Enjoy your boxes of books in your new home! Congratulations, you’ve survived and you can now plan out the library of your dreams.
Hint: Ways to Not Label Your Boxes
Latest posts by Jeann @ Happy Indulgence (see all)
- 8 Reasons Why Rule of Wolves Made Me Happy - June 10, 2021
- 5 Things I Loved About House of Hollow: Review - May 27, 2021
- The City of Brass Review: A Rich Middle-Eastern Fantasy with a Magical City - May 13, 2021