Series: The Other Side of the Sky #1
on September 1st, 2020
Genres: Fantasy & Magic, Science Fiction, Young Adult
Amazon | Book Depository | Publisher | Angus & Robertson | Booktopia | Barnes & Noble
Add to Goodreads
Prince North’s home is in the sky, in a gleaming city held aloft by intricate engines, powered by technology. Nimh is the living goddess of her people on the Surface, responsible for providing answers, direction—hope.
North’s and Nimh’s lives are entwined—though their hearts can never be. Linked by a terrifying prophecy and caught between duty and fate, they must choose between saving their people or succumbing to the bond that is forbidden between them.
The Good Things
- YA fantasy/ sci-fi from one of my favourite author duos. There was more of a focus on the fantasy side in this first book.
- Really interesting worlds! Loved the lore and magic. And the history!! Fascinating how each culture was different.
- Also the political intrigue!! I wasn’t expecting that in this book. But there are a couple of factions opposing Niamh that influence story events.
- A prophecy plays a key part in the plot. I’m a sucker for a good Chosen One story.
- The cat!! I love him.
- THE WHOLE LAST HALF OMG! I couldn’t stop reading.
- I’m in such a book hangover I’m really struggling to come up with more stuff to say.
- Impatiently waiting for October so I can see more of the sci-fi part of the world and see how the plot unfolds.
The Not-So-Good Things
- Very slow to begin with, especially the first 100 pages as things are set up. But when the plot gets moving it’s great.
- I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL OCTOBER AFTER THE CLIFFHANGER! (It’s a good cliffhanger)
- I have some questions about the world still, mostly about the magic system and restraints placed on the Divine One and why (it was kind of explained, but I still feel like there’s more to it).
- Also questions about the Greycloaks. They’re introduced as a major opposing faction but then…… didn’t really do much at all except for one spoiler thing.
- Still on the fence about the romance. I do ship North and Niamh, but everything in this book took place over 4 days. It feels like they’re ready to exchange the L word but they haven’t actually yet (thankfully. It’s way too soon).
After a slow start, I ended up really enjoying this. This is such an interesting world and I loved all the fantasy elements in this one. Super excited for the sequel where we will hopefully get to explore more of the sci-fi settings and get some more answers to my general world questions.
Rating: 4 out of 5
Thank you to Allen & Unwin for providing a copy of this book in exchange for review. The Other Side of the Sky is available now!