So it’s been a while since I did one of these wrap ups! I’ve missed doing them and have gotten heaps of books in the meantime. There’s been lots happening at the moment, I’ve been caught up with editing my Booktube videos, reading QUEEN OF SHADOWS (Which is absolutely awesome), #booksfortradeAU, Bookish Games and Fallout Shelter. Also sitting on Twitter.
First, an exciting announcement:
— Jeann (@happyindulgence) August 17, 2015
Also Sarah J Maas retweeted and replied to my tweets! FANGIRLING
@happyindulgence Ahhhhh! Thank you so much!!! So glad you enjoyed it! 🙂
— Sarah J. Maas (@SJMaas) August 16, 2015
Bookish Games hosted by Oh the Books just ended which means all the participants can finally talk about it! It was 10 weeks of accusations, defending and trying to figure out who the Mafia players were. It was incredibly intense but so much fun and the next theme has been announced: Daughter of Smoke & Bone edition!
Also I’m super excited but OzComicCon Brisbane is coming up, and Mark Sheppard and Jim Beaver, otherwise known as Crowley and Bobby from Supernatural are going to be there!!
I just finished writing up my #bookstagram tags and didn’t realise it would take an hour and 6 pages (excuse my messy writing):
So many amazing review copies!! I am super excited about all of these!
- Stray by Rachael Craw
- Reawakened by Colleen Houck
- Legacy of Kings by Eleanor Herman
- Demon Road by Derek Landy
- Magnus Chase and the Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan
- Lair of Dreams by Libba Bray
- Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas
Thank you to Bloomsbury, Penguin Random House, Allen and Unwin, Pan Macmillan Australia, Hachette, and Harper Collins Australia for the review copies!
Ran out and picked up some library holds:
- Armada by Ernest Cline
- The Fixer by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
- The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins
- In the Skin of a Monster by Kathryn Barker
Thanks to #booksfortradeAU I traded some of my books for some new reads!
- Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini
- Captive by Aimee Carter
- Ultraviolet by R.J. Anderson
- The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
- The New Hunger by Isaac Marion
And if that wasn’t enough books, I also purchased:
- The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black, for signing when Holly is here for Brisbane Writers Festival
- Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers
- Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
- The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Abdieh
- Queen of Shadows is FREAKING AMAZING. Every word was perfection. I cried, I laughed, I shouted and gosh it was just an emotional rollercoast. 5 stars!
- The Rest of Us Just Live Here was slightly disappointing, I wanted to know about the Chosen Ones, which is NOT what this book is about. But that doesn’t mean it won’t tease you with it. 3 stars.
- Lullaby was a heavy, thought provoking philosophical read that I didn’t expect. 3 stars.
- Demon Road started off fantastically and now the stupidity of the main character is just frustrating me. Also, what is up with the cover? It’s sooo ugly XD
August ARC Challenge Update – I’ve read 8 books so far, 7 out of 11 which are ARCs (some planned and some unplanned). So I think I’m doing pretty well! Hopefully I’ll make more progress by the end of the month.
Some of my favourite photos I posted on #bookstagram – Follow me @happyindulgence
- The Legacy of Kings TV show has cast Big Bang Theory’s Simon Helberg. The free prequel eBook, Voice of Gods, is available here.
- Congratulations to Claire Zorn, the writer of The Protected and The Sky so Heavy for her Children’s Book Council of Australia – Award for Children’s Book of the Year.
- Have you signed up to the Australian YA Bloggers and Readers Newsletter? Find out all the latest releases, news, review opportunities and events!
- Holly Black and Cassandra Clare are coming to Brisbane for the Love YA festival! Have you registered your ticket?
- Book Expo Australia is happening on the 17-18 October in Sydney!
Geek & Gamer News
- The 4th episode of Tales from the Borderlands Episode is out by Telltale Games.
- Fallout Shelter is out on Android and it’s an addictive Sim/Management game! It’s free as well!
- OzComicCon Brisbane will be held 19-20 September and Sydney 26-27 September.
- Anya @ On Starships and Dragonwings says she just can’t do everything she SHOULD
- Mishma@ Chasing Faerytales shares tips for discussion posts
- Nick @ Nick’s Book Blog on broadening her reading genres
- Sara @ Deadly Darlings on 5 bookish deadly sins
- Kayla @ A Thousand Lives on mental illness books she recommends
- Aentee @ Read at Midnight asks are your review ratings Objective or Subjective?
- Holly @ The Fox’s HIdeaway does a guest post on Oh the Books on her 5 star ratings
- Faye @ The Social Potato shares why co-bloggers rock on Chasing Faerytales
- Nicole @ The Quiet Concert profiles the 3 Stephanie Perkins boys
- Aentee @ Aentee Reads on Book Trend burn out
- Cynthia @ Book Binges discusses Some Girls being censored from a school
- Cait @ Paper Fury on Ways to care for your resident bookworm
You May Have Missed…
- My latest booktube video where I talk about #WeNeedDiverseBooks
- Australian Giveaway is still open for The Bit in Between by Claire Varley! Ends 28 August 2015.
- I reviewed a fantastic intersex diverse read: None of the above by I.W. Gregario
- In August’s Read Play Blog, the game character I relate to the most is Rinoa Heartilly from Final Fantasy.
How was your bookish week?
Latest posts by Jeann @ Happy Indulgence (see all)
- The Boy From Mish Review: A queer Indigenous #LoveOzYa story - July 29, 2021
- BLOG PARTY: 9 Underrated Reads We Love + INT Giveaway - July 18, 2021
- Firekeeper’s Daughter Review: An Own Voices Native American Investigation - July 8, 2021