Happy Valentines Day everyone! I hope you get to have a wonderful day with your book boyfriends and stack of books! I tried cooking a big breakfast for the fiancée this morning, and it kind of ended in me running away from the oil splattering everywhere. It was good in theory, but it’s just one of those things that didn’t pan out…anyway, he did appreciate it thankfully.
We also celebrated Chinese New Year with the family, and feasted as usual. But because I had my radio segment, I had to rush off halfway through.
This week, I’ve had a pretty emotionally exhausting week, lots happening at work and in the personal life that has left me too exhausted to blog or interact much. I’m hoping it calms down soon.
My OZYAY! Radio Debut
So last week I had my radio debut to kick off the first OzYAY radio segment on ABC Radio! I was pretty nervous and it was a really great experience, but I’m so glad I had my notes to refer to throughout the show. I was able to talk about the books without too much hesitation. It was fascinating seeing Rhianna working and filling the segment and making it interesting! I’m excited to be a part of it all and will hopefully get more confident each month. Thank you so much to everyone who tuned in and listened to the show!
For those who missed it, you can listen to the radio segment here.
For the next segment, we’ll be covering The Diabolical Miss Hyde by Viola Carr, and The Stars at Oktober Bend by Glenda Millard. It’s on 6 March 2016 at 7pm NSW time on ABC Radio or via the ABC Radio app.
I also watched Deadpool upon release which was absolutely hilarious and over the top with the action – everything I hoped for in a Marvel movie! Ryan Reynolds did really well, he’s totally charismatic and pulls off Deadpool really well. He’s an absolute troll and doesn’t take himself too seriously, with the appropriate amount of cheese. The romance was also quite a pleasant surprise. I totally recommend going to see it if you love superheroes!
Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard
My Sister Rosa by Justine Larbalestier
Anna and the Swallow Man by Gavriel Savit
You’re the Kind of Girl I Write Songs About by Daniel Herborn – I’ll be covering this in an upcoming OzYAY segment on the radio
Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton
When We Collided by Emery Lord
The Storyteller’s Muse by Traci Harding
Thanks to HarperCollins, Dymocks Books, Bloomsbury, Hachette, Penguin Random House and Allen & Unwin for sending me these review copies.
Got the following with my birthday voucher:
- Currently reading Firstlife which has an interesting concept but I’m not too fond of the speech. Keen to see where it goes though.
- I’ll be covering Strings for the blog tour tomorrow, but it was a really fascinating dark and haunting retelling of Pinocchio.
- P.S. I Still Love You was a cute sequel to To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, but I still had many problems with it which I covered here.
Here’s my favourite photos I’ve posted in the past few weeks:
- The big news this week is that the 8th Harry Potter book will be published, which is a transcript of the play. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is set 19 years after the conclusion of the series, and we’ll get to follow Harry and his son Albus in their new adventures.
Posts from the blogosphere I’ve enjoyed in the past few weeks:
- Josie @ Josie’s Bookworm talks about the struggles of rating and reviewing books
- Mishma @ Chasing Faerytales wants us to review backlist titles
- Kaitlin @ Reading Is My Treasure shares tips on resisting review copies
- Aentee @ The Social Potato talks about the arguments against diversity
You May Have Missed…
- Find out where our inside joke about tentacles comes from
- Download Aila’s beautiful phone wallpapers on Raven King, Winner’s Kiss and The Mirror King
- Bec and I were not impressed with these YA fantasy reads – Promise of Shadows and Assassin’s Heart
- My January Booktube video is here, recapping the 9 books I read during the month
How was your bookish week?
Latest posts by Jeann @ Happy Indulgence (see all)
- The Boy From Mish Review: A queer Indigenous #LoveOzYa story - July 29, 2021
- BLOG PARTY: 9 Underrated Reads We Love + INT Giveaway - July 18, 2021
- Firekeeper’s Daughter Review: An Own Voices Native American Investigation - July 8, 2021