So it’s been a very busy weekend, running around with social engagements. My friend is visiting from London so we’ve been catching up over brunch, went out to dinner with a few friends to celebrate the new job, a friend’s child’s birthday and also caught up with dad over breakfast. There’s definitely been a lot of eating lately! The bad news is that my sister is back in hospital after being released prematurely. She’ll be there for a while during her recovery this time, and I’ve been visiting her making sure she’s okay. The good news is that I’ve got one more week until I finish up at my current job, and I’ll be starting the new one next week. I’m really looking forward to the fresh start!
Next month I’m going to Teencon 2016 in Sydney, which will be great to catch up with Sydney bloggers and publishers and of course, visit the awesome bookstore Kinokinuya. I’ll finally be able to meet Jenna and we’ll be sure to send pictures! It’d be an extremely short weekend away though, I’m flying in the Saturday morning and then leaving on Sunday night. I’ll be going to the morning Teencon session, so I hope to meet as many of you guys as possible there! I’ll definitely do an event recap afterwards.
The next OzYay sessions on ABC Radio are listed below! Tune in to listen to us chatting about Aussie YA titles on the first Sunday of every month! They’re also put up on Soundcloud here if you can’t tune in live.
Our previous session on Yellow & You’re the Kind of Girl I Write Songs About can be listened to here.
It’s not a recap without a massive book haul, and here’s what I’ve gotten over the past few weeks.
Most of these review copies are surprise copies – thanks to the generous publishers!
Whisper to Me by Nick Lake
Underwater by Marisa Reichardt
The War That Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
The Square Root of Summer by Harriet Reuter Hapgood
When Michael Met Mina by Randa Abdel-Fattah – Will be covering this in an upcoming OZYAY! radio segment
This is Where the World Ends by Amy Zhang
The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson – This will be for an upcoming blog tour
Desolation by Derek Landy
Yellow Brick War by Danielle Paige
The Glittering Court by Richelle Mead
Thank you to Penguin Random House, Bloomsbury, HarperCollins Australia, Pan Macmillan Australia, Text Publishing and Simon and Schuster Australia for sending me these books for review.
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins – I’m seeing Paula Hawkins next month and excited to get this book signed!
Challenger Deep by Neal Schusterman – I absolutely LOVED this book as one of the most accurate representations of schizophernia I’ve found, so had to pick it up at the bargain bookstore. You can check out my review here.
- I started reading The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson after getting invited to the blog tour which will be held on the 26th.
- Hidden Bodies wasn’t as good as You, but it was fascinating hearing from our favourite psycho-stalker in LA. It’s as ridiculous as it sounds, I gave it 4 stars.
- The Girl From Everywhere had it’s good points with the beautiful Hawaiian setting, but I also felt like there was too many elements in there. I gave it 3 stars and will review it shortly.
I was absolutely stoked to reach 2000 followers on Instagram! Was so excited about this, it’s definitely one of my favourite social media platforms. The bookstagram community is the best for meeting new like-minded bookish people and getting so many recommendations! I also find it a lot more drama free and relaxing than other social media channels.
Follow @happyindulgence on instagram for more photos!
- Aussie YA author of Frankie, Shivaun Plozza will be hosting the return of #PTAChat on April 20 at 7pm AEST! Check out the hashtag on Twitter!
- I’m totally digging the pages of the Throne of Glass colouring book!
- The Aussie YA Bloggers & Readers Group will be hosting another Instagram challenge in May. Hosted by Kelly and Sass, check it out! Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for the latest Aussie & NZ bookish news and events.
— ⚡ Diva Kelly (@divabooknerd) April 14, 2016
- The trailer for A Monster Calls looks suitably epic! I need to pick up this book before it comes out.
- I got all sorts of Harry Potter feels while watching the teaser trailer for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them!
- Check out my Top 10 list of Aussie YA released in 2016 here!
- Aila @ One Way or Another goes through her watercolour procedure for the Star Touched Queen!
- Josie @ Josie’s Bookworm talks about what defines a hero.
- Are you headed to BEA? Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight offers tips along the way!
- Struggling for some inspiration on bookstagram? Josephine @ Word Revel lists 28 bookstagram post ideas.
- Inge @ Bookshelf Reflections talked about why you should join the addictive Bookish Games here!
You May Have Missed…
- Find out why Jenna loved the representation of mental health in When We Collided .
- Morning Star gave me a book hangover and it was an awesome conclusion to the series.
- Giveaway – 5 copies of Ruined by Amy Tintera (Aussies only!). Ends 1 May 2016.
- My March video wrap up features a rave about the Chaos Walking trilogy.
How was your bookish week?
You might also like..
Latest posts by Jeann @ Happy Indulgence (see all)
- Deep Water Review: Mystery Thriller Keeps Us Guessing - March 26, 2020
- Infinity Son Review: Phoenix Powers & Brotherhood - February 14, 2020
- January Wrap Up: It’s Been a Busy Start to the Year! - January 31, 2020