I’m mentally and emotionally exhausted from the week. There was a lot of drama and backlash over my negative review of ACOMAF. That’s not the saddest thing however – I’ve lost some blogging friends over it. However, I’ve appreciated all of your support who took the time to reach out. That’s what makes this blogging community amazing – we’re all in this together and should encourage and support each other to freely share our opinion, as long as it’s not hurting others.
I had a great time at Sydney’s Writer’s Festival and you can read my recap here. Spent a full day with Aentee @ Read at Midnight (left) and my co-blogger Jenna (middle), we had a great time catching up over books, food and shopping! It was great to meet so many amazing book bloggers too. Things are really looking up at my new work. This week, I presented my strategy to the CEO and Directors and was sent a personal congratulatory message afterwards! It’s always a great feeling when hard work pays off.
- The Book of Pearl by Timothee de Fombelle – Thanks Walker Books
- The Last Good Day of the Year by Jessica Warman – Thanks Bloomsbury
- Breathing Under Water by Sophie Hardcastle – Thanks Hachette
- All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven – I’ve already read & reviewed here.
- The Yearbook Committee by Sarah Ayoub – Thanks Jenna for this and ATBP!
- Kindred Spirits by Rainbow Rowell – Aila you are the best!
- The Special Ones by Em Bailey – The only book I kept from the Teencon showbag (I gave away the rest because they were doubles)
OzYay 5 June, 7pm on ABC Radio
I’m really looking forward to next week’s segment on ABC Radio, as I absolutely loved both of these books that I read! I binged the whole Colours of Madeleine series and absolutely LOVED Summer Skin. Tune in next Sunday on your local ABC radio station at 7pm AEST! You can also tune in online or via the ABC Radio app, which is handy for internationals.
I’ve been asked a few times if you can listen to back issues – all recordings of the session are up on Soundcloud here.
That’s it from me – handing you over to Jenna!
Meeting Aila and Florida Book Haul – Jenna
Earlier this month I went to Florida for a research conference and got to meet Aila who lived about an hour away! We only had a day together but we had loads of fun. She took me to the Dali Museum and we had a really great time at the Disney x Dali exhibit. The gift shop was amazing and I ended up leaving with a book (pretty much the Disney x Dali exhibit in book form) and a mousepad. Haha random, I know. We then had a really nice lunch at a place called Red Mesa Cantina, which I highly recommend cos the food was soooo good! Of course, we went book shopping as well. Sadly, it was Sunday and the closest Barnes and Noble was closed, but we ended up going to a nice indie bookstore called Haslam’s, which had lots of used books and rare books too. Apparently it’s a world famous bookstore but neither of us had heard of it. And then me being me, requested to go food shopping at Trader Joe’s and that was an awesome experience as well 😀
Gifted (from Aila)
- Disney & Dali: Architects of the Imagination
- Spark Joy by Marie Kondo
- Bone Gap by Laura Ruby
- The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord
- Hearts, Fingers and Other Things to Cross by Katie Finn
- When We Collided by Emery Lord – I’ve reviewed this one here!
- Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone
- Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys
- Highly Illogical Behavior by John Corey Whaley
I feel so lucky that I got to meet both Aila and Jeann this month. It makes me the happiest and luckiest coblogger on Earth!
Aentee (Read at Midnight), me, Jeann, and Emily (Loony Literate) at Sydney Writer’s Festival
You might also like..
Latest posts by Jeann @ Happy Indulgence (see all)
- The Near Witch Review & V.E. Schwab Interview on Youtube! - April 23, 2019
- Imprison the Sky Review: Seafaring, slavery and elemental powers - April 12, 2019
- Indulgence Insider #77 – Baby Jeann, March Wrap Up & Haul - April 2, 2019