Series: Caraval #2
Published by Hodder & Stoughton on May 31st, 2018
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy & Magic
Amazon | Book Depository | Publisher | Angus & Robertson | Booktopia | Barnes & Noble
Add to Goodreads
A heart to protect. A debt to repay. A game to win.
After being swept up in the magical world of Caraval, Donatella Dragna has finally escaped her father and saved her sister Scarlett from a disastrous arranged marriage. The girls should be celebrating, but Tella isn't yet free. She made a desperate bargain with a mysterious criminal, and what Tella owes him no one has ever been able to deliver: Caraval Master Legend's true name.
The only chance of uncovering Legend's identity is to win Caraval, so Tella throws herself into the legendary competition once more - and into the path of the murderous heir to the throne, a doomed love story, and a web of secrets . . . including her sister's. Caraval has always demanded bravery, cunning, and sacrifice. But now the game is asking for more. If Tella can't fulfill her bargain and deliver Legend's name, she'll lose everything she cares about - maybe even her life. But if she wins, Legend and Caraval will be destroyed forever.
Welcome, welcome to Caraval . . . the games have only just begun.
The Good Things
- YA fantasy, sequel to Caraval.
- I’ve been meaning to read this for three years now! Thank goodness it didn’t disappoint.
- I actually enjoyed it even more than the first book. The writing is just as magical, but the stakes are higher.
- Tella was a great main character. She’s very intelligent and more reckless than Scarlett but loves her sister just as much.
- I really appreciated that we got glimpses of Julian and Scarlett and their development throughout the book!
- I finally meet Jacks! I’ve seen so much fan art of him. It’s nice to be able to put the character to the art. He was really interesting.
- Loved the lore in this! We got to learn so much more about the world, the history, the gods, and even the Dragna sisters’ mother! I’d read a whole book about their mother’s adventures.
- Also enjoyed the slow burn romance!
The Not-So-Good Things
- I kind of wanted more Jacks and Dante appearances throughout the story.
- I was not surprised by Legend’s identity. I actually guessed it from book one. However, I don’t know if I’d call his identity obvious. There is a good chance I was spoiled online or maybe I was just good at spotting the foreshadowing.
Legendary was a great sequel. It continued the magic of the first book while introducing us to the wider Caraval world. I cannot wait to see how the plot unfolds in Finale.
Rating: 4 out of 5
Latest posts by Bec (see all)
- The Awakening Review: Pros and Cons of a Portal Fantasy - June 14, 2021
- Legendary Review: Pros and Cons of Playing with Fates - May 31, 2021
- The Imitator Review: Not the WWII Spy Thriller I Was Expecting - May 3, 2021