So on Friday night I went to Penguin Teen Australia’s YASquad event and it was so much fun! We had four Aussie authors, Will Kostakis, Shivaun Plozza, Kylie Fornasier and Megan Jacobson there who talked about their newly released books. It was also Felicity’s last event who has run Penguin Teen Australia for as long as I’ve known, so it was really fun and sad to see her go! The best part was also catching up with fellow bloggers and book people, these events just leave you with a happy feeling.
Here’s a quick recap of the event:
Felicity from PTA, Megan Jacobsen, Will Kostakis, Shivaun Plozza and Kylie Fornasier
I started playing a farming game called Stardew Valley, which is the 2nd biggest seller on Steam at the moment. It’s a Harvest Moon clone but new and improved, and I’m just so impressed that 1 guy made this game over 3 years! I just love how you can go at your own pace and do whatever you want, it’s just so relaxing and therapeutic.
So I bought lots of books for the YA Squad event but also picked up a few $5 bargains at a book clearance store! What a score!
The First Third by Will Kostakis – Will was lovely enough to gift a signed yiayia copy due to getting my name wrong lol!
A Corner of White, The Cracks in the Kingdom and Tangle of Gold by Jaclyn Moriarty – Jenna got these signed copies for me at her recent Jaclyn Moriarty signing, which was an unexpected surprise! I know she loved these books, so I’m excited to read it. Read her reviews here.
- I feel like I’m going through some rite of passage reading The Knife of Never Letting Go, and of course after that major cliffhanger I’m reading The Ask and the Answer. This dystopian seriously is like nothing else I’ve ever read, it’s dark and gritty and I’m loving it (despite all the pain).
- Really enjoyed both Rebel of the Sands and Vengeance Road, which are both Westerns, although Rebel has a Middle Eastern twist to it. My reviews will be coming soon, I rated Rebel of the Sands 4 stars, and Vengeance Road 5 stars!
Here’s some of my favourite shots on bookstagram! Follow @happyindulgence for more photos.
I feel like I’m finally learning how to use my DSLR correctly which I’m really excited about! I’m hosting #AusYAChallenge this month and it’s been awesome sharing the love for Aussie Ya authors.
- Sarah J Maas revealed her the 5th Throne of Glass Title – Empire of Storms! IT SOUNDS EPIC AND I NEED IT NOW.
- This week, we’re saying goodbye for now to Felicity at Penguin Teen Australia! She’s been such an amazing force in the Aussie YA community.
- Rights for a new YA movie adaptation has been sold for Love That Split the World by Emily Henry!
- Inside a Dog are looking for Teen YA readers between 12-20 years of age to become an Inky Awards judge this year! Applications close 28 March, apply here.
- The movie poster for Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children is out, and the Aussie release date has been announced: 29 September!
I’m so hyped about these movies that I just have to include them here!
Xmen Apocalypse 2nd Trailer
Batman vs Superman Final Trailer
Xmen is one of my favourite franchises ever, so I’m super excited to see this one to be full of action and along the same lines as Days of Future Past (which was my movie of the year in 2014!). I pretty much need to watch this now.
Batman vs Superman Final Trailer
Love how this one emphasises more on the battle between Batman and Superman. And I’m totally sold on Ben Affleck now because I’m a Batman loyalist.
Captain America Civil War Trailer 2
Like my babies Captain America and Ironman are fighting like what is this?! Noooooo.
Some of my favourite discussions in the past few weeks:
- Larissa @ Life as Larissa tells main characters to get off their pedastals
- Alyssa @ Devil Orders Takeout does a bookstagram and VSCO editing guide!
- Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight on commenting obligations
- CW @ Read Think Ponder talks about what she’d love to see in NA
- Joan @ Fiddler Blue on misrepresentation of mental illness and disability in books
- Summer @ Xing Sings categorises different types of book bloggers!
- Josie @ Josie’s Book Corner on plot summaries and why they’re unnecessary
- Cait @ Paper Fury asks why aren’t you getting comments on your book blog?
- Nick @ Nick and Nereyda’s Infinite Book List talks about why sex in YA is important
- Nereyda @ Nick and Nereyda’s Infinite Book List also gives us some great tips on commenting
You May Have Missed…
- I got frustrated over the kissing scenes in Passenger.
- Jenna highlighted Ask the Passengers, a recent LGBTQ that left a lasting impression.
- Aila warns everyone against Tell the Wind and Fire that she DNFd.
- My February recap video and update
How was your bookish week?
Latest posts by Jeann @ Happy Indulgence (see all)
- Babel by R.F. Kuang Review: Dark Academia Meets Colonisation - September 7, 2022
- An Arrow to the Moon Review: Chinese mythology modernised - July 21, 2022
- Verity Review: Creepy, captivating psychological thriller that will keep you up at night - July 7, 2022