Can you believe Easter is here and it’s almost over? It’s been a while since I’ve done an Indulgence Insider, but I have so much news to share this time! Because I like to shove lots of things into one post, it’s going to be a long one.
Brisbane Love YA Event (I’m on a Panel!)
I’m excited to announce Brisbane’s first dedicated YA event – Love YA (held by Brisbane Writer’s Festival and #LoveOzYA), to be held on 12 May 2018. There are some amazing authors in attendance, with some exciting events planned, including a publisher showcase, trivia nights, a letter library and nail art. Here’s a rundown on the panels that are happening:
- Behind the Scenes of Book Reviewing with myself and Piera Forde
- In Conversation with Ellie Marney, who will be discussing her latest novel, White Night (review and giveaway coming soon!)
- Author to Author with Cath Crowley and Steph Bowe, who will be talking about strong YA protagonists and writing YA
- In Conversation with Paula Weston, who will be talking her latest sci-fi novel the Undercurrent
This is the first time bloggers have been included on a panel at Brisbane Writer’s Festival, and being such a big part of the book industry, I’m so glad that we’ll get a chance to talk about book blogging and reviewing. I’ve also been lucky enough to be a part of the Advisory Panel and also the Brisbane Writer’s Festival YA Ambassador this year which has been a really rewarding experience.
New Fantasy & Sci-fi Book Club
So I’ve teamed up with some amazing book bloggers and youtubers – Catriona, Piera, Sofia and Elspeth and we’ve started a new monthly fantasy book club. We’ll be discussing a dedicated fantasy read (whether it be YA, middle grade, adult fantasy) each month with physical meetings in both Brisbane and Sydney. For those who can’t join in person, we’ve got monthly live shows on Youtube. For all the details, check out the announcement video below:
- We’re reading Assassin’s Apprentice by Robin Hobb for the first book!
- Book your free tickets to the Brisbane book meet here. We’re going for a casual picnic vibe, so bring your own picnic blanket and snacks! I hear there may be a famous doggy guest star 😉
- Tickets to Sydney sold out in the first 24 hours, but make sure to follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram as we’re currently hunting for a bigger venue.
March Wrap Up
I read 10 books in March, with some ABSOLUTE FAVOURITES of the year! I’m lucky to have had two great reading months in a row, let’s hope it lasts.
Obsidio – This book made me cry in my review and that says it all really.
Children of Blood and Bone – The hype is real.
Draekora – My favourite book in the series so far, time travel + dragons = SO GOOD. Review to come!
Hunting Prince Dracula – I’m trash for this series. Fight me if you disagree. Review to come!
White Night – Such an addictive #LoveOzYA thriller about cults. Review coming this week!
Hero at the Fall – Great series ender, I originally gave this 5 stars and changed my mind.
Eleanor Oliphant is Fine – Listened to the audiobook about this brilliantly funny main character who is on the spectrum.
P is for Pearl – Beautifully written #LoveOzYA on grief.
Between Us – An important read about understanding refugee life.
Rat Queens Volume 2 – Had no idea what was going on and it lost the charm of the first book.
For mini reviews on these books, make sure to subscribe to my youtube channel for my upcoming wrap up.
What was your reading month like in March? Link me to your wrap ups below!
Latest posts by Jeann @ Happy Indulgence (see all)
- The Scarlet Veil Review: Vampire Romance is Back - October 22, 2023
- A Study in Drowning Review: Magical Realism and a Thesis on a Mysterious Author - October 16, 2023
- Yellowface by R.F. Kuang Review: A Bold, Unapologetic Tell-all of the Publishing Industry - July 15, 2023