This week I started my new job and it’s going to be pretty hectic, there’s lots of work to do while learning at the same time. As expected, I won’t have as much time to do blog things while I get used to my new role. During this month, Aila will be in exam mode and Jenna will be travelling to Florida (and meeting Aila!!! *screams*) and then I’ll be meeting her in Sydney while I’m there for TeenCon 2016. Thankfully we plan for these things at Happy Indulgence, so while we won’t be as responsive as usual, you’ll still find some great content and scheduled posts here. I’m also more active on Twitter and Instagram as well.
Anyway, I’ll make sure to update you guys when I get the chance. I’ve been so drained that all I’ve been doing is binge watching Unbreakable: Kimmy Schmidt on Netflix which is so hilarious, light and random. I have binge watched the entire Season 1 and half of Season 2 already. I also watched Captain America Civil War yesterday, which was pretty good with lots of action and cameos! The storyline was a bit forced though, and there wasn’t much of a back story behind the villain. I preferred Winter Soldier, but at least it was better than Age of Ultron.
Oh, I also finally died after an intensive 8 weeks of playing Bookish Games. I was an evil mafia member so pretty much everything I said was built on lies upon lies, which was actually pretty stressful if you think about it. Anyway, I’ve crafted another reputation for myself as the “evil Spackle lady” which I’m actually quite proud of.
Today I’ll be heading into the ABC Radio for the next session of OzYay on Air! I’m looking forward to catching up with Rhianna and Sarah, no matter what we have going on in our lives it’s always fun to unite and talk about Aussie YA books – my favourite. I really enjoyed The Things I Didn’t Say but had a few criticisms about Dreaming the Enemy. If you get the chance, tune in tonight on Rhianna Patrick’s show at 7pm AEST on ABC radio, via the ABC radio app or http://www.abc.net.au/radio (internationals can tune in online too!). Apparently there might be sport on, so listening in on the app or online is the best way to go.
Last time we received a few tweets for our show too which was awesome because they were read out online! So if you happen to be listening to the show, I’d love it if you tweeted us at #ABCRhi! As always, I’ll post the link to the recording afterwards on the blog.
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes – I bought a copy to see what everyone’s been raving about, plus the movie trailer looks awesome.
The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin – I swapped this with Ely via #booksfortradeAU, as I haven’t read it yet and I’ve only got the first book.
I also picked up the following books at the library, not sure if I’ll get around to them but I couldn’t help myself:
The Love That Split the World by Emily Henry – I’ve heard so much about this, even with mixed reviews I’m kinda curious.
My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga – I need to review this on Edelweiss still and Jenna loved it, so looking forward to it.
Forbidden by Kimberley Griffiths Little – Aila loved this book which she reviewed here.
- I’m really not enjoying The Winner’s Kiss so far. There’s so much angst and a manufactured reason for melodrama, and it’s a long book so I just want them to get on with it. Hopefully I like it more after I finish it.
- I read Aussie YA title Dreaming the Enemy for radio and I found it to be confusing and disjointed. I gave it 2 stars.
Some of the bookstagrams I posted in the past week. Follow @happyindulgence for more!
- Read Renee Abdieh’s short story, Mirror and the Maze from The Wrath and the Dawn here.
- The Girl on the Train trailer came out which looks deliciously creepy and faithful to the book.
- Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson is turning into a board game!
- Sign the LoveOzYA petition on the Productivity Commission’s recent suggested changes to writer’s intellectual property and sourcing books from overseas if publishers do not provide books by 14 days. How is this supporting the local industry?! Isn’t it horrifying to know that a book that you wrote, isn’t yours after 15-20 years?!
Some posts I’ve enjoyed in the past weeks:
- Val @ The Innocent Smiley on are we allowed to criticise characters who have illnesses?
- Aila @ One Way or An Author talks about her 5 pet peeves when reading contemporaries from her very own teen experience!
- Lexxie @ Unconventional Bookviews talks about the issue of copying when you’re inspired by other blogs
- Keionda @ Keionda Hearts Books talks about commenting back and how she feels about it
- Angel @ Book Riot asks where are all the Asian kids in Contemporary YA romance?
- Nereyda @ Nick and Nereyda’s Infinite Booklist talks about falling out of love of books
YOU MAY HAVE MISSED…
- Our co-blogging discussion where Aila, Jenna and I discussed the pros & cons of it!
- Jenna was looking forward to Love, Lies and Spies but she found it pretty lacklustre.
- Aila enjoyed the tennis in Girl Against the Universe!
- Morgan Matson talked what inspired her to write about dogs in The Unexpected Everything.
- Aussie giveaway – win a paperback of The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson! Enter here. Ends 8 May 2016.
How was your bookish week?
Latest posts by Jeann @ Happy Indulgence (see all)
- The First To Die at The End Review: When Death is At Your Door - November 29, 2022
- The Killing Code Review: Sapphic Codebreakers Solve Murders - November 22, 2022
- The Atlas Six: Dark Academia Meets Morally Grey Magicians - October 26, 2022