Today is our 8 year blogoversary! Happy Indulgence has been online for 8 years, sharing our news, reviews, and a little part of our lives with you all. I can’t believe how many years it has been – I feel so ancient when it comes to this little space on the internet haha!
We will be celebrating with a week long blog party, where myself, Bec and Jenna will be sharing a list of 8 things. What 8 things you ask? You’ll just have to subscribe and stay tuned to find out 🙂
It wouldn’t be an anniversary without looking back at some of the things that have happened along the way, and I get sappy with you all.
So today I’ll be sharing:
8 Ways Blogging Has Changed My Life
1. I’ve made so many amazing friends through the book community
Before I started blogging, there were only a handful of people who I knew read as actively as I did, but I’ve made so many amazing friends in this community both online and offline (including Jenna and Bec)! If it wasn’t for the amazing people in the book community, I don’t think I would have continued for as long as I have, so I have you all to thank you!
2. I never run out of book recommendations
Being part of the bookish community, I’m always finding amazing recommendations for books to read! Whether it’s through trusted recommendations, word of mouth or generally just hearing the hype about a new book or author, I’ve always got something to read.
3. I’ve pushed myself to go outside of my comfort zone
Honestly if you were to tell me 8 years ago that book blogging would be something that would change my life…I would have been like ??? But because of Happy Indulgence, I’ve hosted events with over 120 people, done public speaking at Writer’s Festivals, been on stage and talked about my blogging journey to school groups of over 400 kids, talked on live radio every month about books, been part of a Board deciding what happens with local book events…..Yup, it’s definitely changed my life.
4. I started a book club (The Name of the Book)
This year, The Name of the Book club has turned 3 years! I’ve had such a great time hosting our little book club with some other lovely creators in the book community and I’m so happy that there’s a safe space to chat about books each month (both online and in person…or via Zoom due to the COVID thing). It’s always nice to chat about books in person and to have something consistent in your life when things are always up and down.
5. I’ve met, interviewed and made friends with some of my favourite authors
I’ve met some of my favourite authors of all time and have even interviewed some of them as well! From Jay Kristoff, Sarah J Maas, Lynette Noni, Amie Kaufman, Holly Black, V.E. Schwab, Cassandra Clare, Laini Taylor, it’s been a nerve wracking experience seeing your favourite authors in person. But they’re all incredibly lovely, down to earth and super talented and appreciative as well.
6. I’ve learnt many useful skills…including running a Youtube Channel
Blogging is such a useful skill to put on my resume, and it’s also helped me in my career as well! It demonstrates that you have the skill to write engaging content for an audience, to stick to timelines, to create a content calendar, to edit, photograph and plan out new videos, show off your web design and creativity…the list is endless.
7. Receiving free books in the mail (and in advance)
Receiving ARCs in the mail for free and even before they are released to the general public is such an amazing book blogging perk (thank you to all the publishers and authors who we work with)! I honestly feel so, so lucky that this is even possible.
8. I’m part of an amazing community of readers around the world (including yourself)!
Happy Indulgence wouldn’t be what it is today without the support of you all, (and to be honest, I wouldn’t be the same without your support either), so THANK YOU SO MUCH to every reader, blogger, publisher, author, supporter, organisation, etc. that has been a part of our journey over the past 8 years. I feel so, so lucky to be part of the bookish community and ever so luckier about the continuous support that you have offered me. I honestly couldn’t imagine not being part of the bookish community – it’s such an integral part of my life now.
For everyone who has ever read our posts, who has tweeted or shared our stuff, who has passed on our name or even sent us an email, from the bottom of my heart, thank you!
international giveaway – win a $30 book depository book of your choice
It wouldn’t be a blog party without a giveaway! Fill out the form below to be in the draw.
- No fake entries – we check! Verified entries only. Giveaway ends 25 July 2020 and winner will be chosen randomly and emailed directly.
- Book depository must ship to your country and winner must be over 18 (or have parental permission to enter). We don’t take responsibility for lost or stolen parcels.
Latest posts by Jeann @ Happy Indulgence (see all)
- Babel by R.F. Kuang Review: Dark Academia Meets Colonisation - September 7, 2022
- An Arrow to the Moon Review: Chinese mythology modernised - July 21, 2022
- Verity Review: Creepy, captivating psychological thriller that will keep you up at night - July 7, 2022