Welcome to the first Indulgence Insider of 2016! I’ve made it through the first week back at work, it was tough getting back into the routine of things and trying to kickstart my brain again! I’ve been feeling a little anxious and behind, but as long as I stick to my new year’s resolution of looking after myself (like making sure I have enough down time, not overcommitting and exercising) I should be fine.
For the first weekend of the year, we started our house hunt again! Found a few decent looking houses on the market and we put in our first offer and wasn’t successful. Hopefully the market picking up now is a good sign for the year to come.
I broke my beloved camera at the beach the other day, so I’m feeling pretty lost without it! I’ve been researching DSLRs to buy, pretty settled on the Nikon D3300. Until then, my phone photos will have to do.
Giveaway – INT
Our local Angus & Robertson had a 50% off everything closing down sale, so I picked up a few titles that have been on my wishlist for a while! I also picked up a new planner from Kikki K which I am in love with.
- Angelfall by Susan Ee – My series is finally complete!
- Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo – I’m looking forward to finishing the Grisha trilogy, since I loved Six of Crows so much.
- The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski – I gave away my paperback of this and I’ve regretted it because I own the hardback, so I had to
- Wonder by R.J. Palacio – I’ve had this on my wishlist for a long time, I’ve heard it’s really touching and heartbreaking!
- Mockingjay & Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins – Couldn’t resist these limited edition camouflage editions. They’re so much prettier than my original box set.
- Burning Midnight by Will McIntosh
- Kingdom of Ashes by Rhiannon Thomas
- This Savage Song by V.E. Schwab
- Ruined by Amy Tintera
- Queen of Hearts by Colleen Oakes
- The Crown’s Game by Evelyn Skye
- Faking It by Gabrielle Tozer
Thank you HarperTeen and Random House for these eARCs.
I challenged myself to read 130 books this year, which is 8 books up from last year! I achieved this number (with graphic novels) in 2014. While it’s going to be a pretty hectic year, I’ve increased my GR challenge each year so I’ll see how I go!
- Currently reading The 5th Wave ahead of the movie which I’m not convinced on. The pacing is kind of weird and jumps around a bit and sometimes you have to read between the lines and put two and two together.
- I read Reawakened which integrated Egyptian mythology into a contemporary setting. While I liked how it was actually set in Egypt, I didn’t like the superficial perfect Mary Sue nor the cheesy romance. 2 stars.
- I also binged Crazy Rich Asians and China Rich Girlfriend which I gave 5 and 4 stars! They were absolutely hilarious where super rich Asians try and outdo each other with how rich they are. It’s oesentatious, witty and filled with food and fashion!
My favourite pics I’ve posted from the past few weeks:
- Emma Watson started a book club on Goodreads on feminist fiction. The first book is My Life On the Road by Gloria Steinem.
- We were catfished by an author pretending to be a Penguin Random House publicist. Must read for all bloggers.
- Read at Midnight is hosting a Diverse YA Book Club, with the first book announced: Simon Versus the Homosapiens Agenda. The Twitter chat date is January 31 at 1pm!
- Interested in blogging about gaming? Sign up to our Read Play Blog 2016 Blog Hop for more details!
- Lifeline Bookfest is returning to Brisbane, from 16-26 January 2016 at the Convention Centre.
- The Xmen Apocalypse Trailer is now out (thanks to Bieke for drawing my attention to this!). I may or may not have watched this multiple times because HYPE.
- YA Midnight Reads is looking for a co-blogger! Mel and Celine are both awesome, so I definitely encourage anyone who’s keen!
- Daphne @ Winged Reviews is also looking for a co-blogger!
- Amanda @ Nellie & Co has free downloadable blog planners for 2016!
- Cait @ Paper Fury teamed up with other bloggers to predict 2016 YA trends.
- Aentee @ Read at Midnight has amazing Six of Crows downloadable wallpapers for your phone here!
- Josie @ Josie’s Book Corner talked about ARC Envy and how to deal with it.
- Chiara @ Books for a Delicate Eternity interviewed the amazing Josephine @ Word Revel on her photography process for bookstagram!
- My co-blogger Aila @ One Way or An Author blogged on her fanart process.
- Val @ The Innocent Smiley offers some tips for the forgetful book reviewer.
- Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight needs your help on whether to continue her DNF books.
You May Have Missed…
- I interviewed fellow Aussie Brett Michael Orr on his YA time travel book, The Bureau of Time!
- Jenna raged hard at This Raging Light, find out why with her 1 star review.
- Aila wrote a heartfelt post on staying true to her ratings and the pressure to like a book.
- My December recap is up on Youtube, where I raved about Six of Crows and ranted about The Wrath and the Dawn.
How was your bookish week?
Latest posts by Jeann @ Happy Indulgence (see all)
- Empire of the Vampire Review: Vampires Like You’ve Never Seen Before - October 14, 2021
- She Who Became The Sun Review: The Rise of the Ming Dynasty - October 4, 2021
- Gods & Monsters Review: A Disappointing Ending - September 20, 2021